Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Green Smoothies

Have you been seeing a couple of people with green drinks all over town and the office? Well, join the green smoothie bandwagon!

I started my journey of drinking green smoothies last year September and since then, I am hooked. The results have been tremendous – better digestion, weight loss, better skin, hair and energy.

Research shows that one’s craving for fast food and sugar decreases. Then you have a desire to exercise more, you have emotional stability and constant energy. If you want to improve your health and that of your family, join the club of making green smoothies!

It’s just not me, my manager and colleagues are all dotting green drinks in the office. For someone who hates eating raw apples, kales, collard greens or even spinach, this was my savior – I still get my douse of fruits and vegetables as recommended. I drink two glasses daily and what’s fun is I can make different drinks everyday.


I get chlorophyll and enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. They are also packed with plant fiber capable of carrying many times its own weight in toxins out of the body. The one thing I love about my smoothies is that I can make them overnight, put them in my bottles and when I wake up, I just grab it – Voila! Ohh and I love to add my favorite thing of them all, green tea! And when someone tells you they are not tasty, don’t listen – they are definitely are. And you know what, green smoothies are an easy way for you to get large amounts of fruits and leafy greens into your daily diet.

Green smoothies have saved me money over the last couple of months. If I buy lots of fruits like pinneaple, when it is ripe, I cut into pieces and put them in the freezer so when am ready, all I do is take one bag and blend it.

So you ask, what’s in a green smoothie?  Leafy greens + fruit + liquid-base and maybe toppings such as flax seeds, c' est tu! Trust me, once you try a green smoothie, get ready for addiction like! So why do I love smoothies so much?
  1. My energy is high up there. After a gym workout, I always try to have a smoothie that has a lot of proteins such as black berries, almond milk, bananas and flax seeds and that’s sure enough to keep me until my lunch break.
  2. Weight loss: I have lost a couple of pounds – but not many coz I still enjoy my glass of wine. What can I say, I love my smoothies but I love my wines more.
  3. Protected immune system: When I spent last year in Asia, I still had my green smoothie made – thank you but anyway, you can stay healthy with this drink. I haven’t had major sicknesses such as common cold since I started my smoothie journey.
  4. Improved Skin and Hair: Am a naturalista and anything that gives my skin a glowing look – am all in hence my love for avocados.
What do you need to make a green smoothie? I have been using the Nutri Bullet and so far its great. But you can also buy the Ninja or a blender.

Finally, here are a couple of tips to make your smoothie journey enjoyable and tasty:
  1. Use 2 green leafy vegetables by tossing them in the blender then adding water or any of the other liquids and blend until all gone.
  2. Then add fruits and the seeds and blend
  3. And drink with pleasure.
Are you a green smoothie fan?  If you have a favorite recipe of your own,  we would love to hear about it.

Enjoy!

Neema

No comments:

Post a Comment