Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Visa To Being a Naturalista

Confession time, I never did the big chop!

My natural hair journey started in 2011 when I stayed in Italy for 3 months as a study abroad student in the region Tuscany – Siena to be specific. As an African woman, I needed someone to do my hair with no luck. My precious edges were also crying out! I still don’t have them but they are growing thanks to several prayers and fasting! And its through these two misfortunes that my natural hair journey started. 

Boy was I so wrong.  You know that feeling of imperfection and not good enough and you have doubt with yourself because of your hair? Well that was me back in 2011 and 2012.  It has been a long journey and over the last 4 years, I have learned to have a love/hate relationship with my hair.

As a Kenyan, some of us, me to be exact, I don’t have the luxury of hair that looks like the girls on YouTube or some of the naturalistas out there.  I have tried to do braids out with so many epic failures  that in the morning when I wake up, I look for my fedora and get to work – that’s why you thank companies in Silicon Valley where no one cares how you show up at work.  Now, I don’t even bother anymore. My go to style is wash and go. I wash my hair every Sunday morning with my favorite product and let it air dry or if I don’t have time, I just use heat to dry it.  And I don’t have to wash it for the next one week. It holds strong and I only use essentials oils (Jamaican, Lavender, Jojoba) to maintain it.

Over the last years, my hair and I have had our own shares of problems but through it all, we have seen each other grow and learn to accept our flaws. For example,  I know I can’t do a braid out so I never try it. The only thing I can achieve with the help of my hair dresses is twists outs. I tried those on my own and it never worked. Sometimes when I travel or am on vacation, I try to do crochet braids.

I haven’t braided my hair over the last 4 years and it has been a good feeling. I have learned to accept me with my short hair and at work, people have known me as a naturalista. And it works for me.  If  you want to transition into the natural  hair journey,  here are all the things you will need to get that visa: 
  1. Commit
  2. Don't be afraid of shrinkage - it all happens to us
  3. The infamous 'Big Chop' vs. 'Grow Out' - Pick your poison
  4. Try several products until you find what works for your hair
  5. Protective styles - cornrows/braids/twists and my favorite - crochet braids
  6. Avoid braids and styles that interfere with your hairline 
Whatever route you choose, big chop or grow out, there are several websites/blogs/YouTube videos and products that will help you as you transition through your hair journey. You will learn about what works for your hair and what not to. Just remember everyone's hair is different and as India Arie says" I am not my hair".

I would love to hear your challenges, ideas, concerns as you transition to being a naturalista. Also check out websites like curly nikki to hear more of other women as they journey.

Cheers!

Neema

No comments:

Post a Comment