Monday, April 20, 2015

Why I Love Puerto Rico - Island Vieques

In 2010, my friends and I decided to take a vacation and travel to Puerto Rico. We stayed in Old San Juan for a couple of days then decided to spend the rest of our time in Island Vieques. What can I say about this small Island  - only good things. It is known to be the home of the brightest bio-luminescent bay in the world, amazing white beaches and most importantly, quiet, tranquil, uncrowded with natural beauty all around it. We stayed at this small hotel called Bananas Guesthouse which also had a restaurant.

Isla de Vieques introduced me to my first snorkeling experience and ever since then, I am hooked. Anytime I travel to a place where I have access to snorkeling, I have to get my dose of it. The say you will always find something to do in this island, true to their word, you will. Be prepared to experience the beaches. If you want that feeling of wonder, relaxing and magical feeling of seeing the water light up, then Vieques if for you. For those like me who love the beach and nature, you will find yourself getting lost in the beauty and magic of the island like no other place in the Caribbean. Remember to also: 
  • Enjoy the beaches - always
  • Do some hiking to the secluded Media Luna and Navio beaches
  • Mosquito Bay experience - swim among the stars at the Bio - Luminescent Bay
  • Snorkel a little and scuba dive alot
  • Bicyle around the island
  • Fish and eat later
  • Do some horseback riding
  • Enjoy a chat with the friendly people
  • Spend less money on vacation
 How do you get there:

You can take a round trip flight to San Juan and then from there, you can get a flight on Cape Air to Vieques starting at around $200. You can also take a public taxi from San Juan to Fajardo and then ferry to Vieques for $2 per person (Such a beautiful ride).

My friends and I decided to rent a car from San Juan to Fajardo, then we left the car there and took the ferry which took about 60-90 minutes. The ferry service runs several times a day from Fajardo to Vieques and you will just have to purchase it from the station.

Bio bay (Frank Llosa Photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment