Friday, April 24, 2015

Boarding Schools

The other day, I was reading an article on newyorker.com titled Whipping Boy, a story about writer who spent forty years looking for his bully. The biggest question here is why? I remember how different it was for me, we had the cool kids, the bullies and well, the christians and each of us had our own clicks. I was okay with that I think.

Like many girls in Kenya, I spent most of my life in boarding school. If I remember correctly, my dad dropped me at Sango Academy when I was in standard four and I was so afraid and crying and questioning why my parents would do such a thing. And that's where I spent the next 4 years calling it my home. And when I joined high school, I also spent another 4 years with another group of girls. I still don't understand why my parents decided to send me to boarding school at such a young age! What can I say, that's how they were taught and they believed and still believe it is the best form of education.

I have to thank my parents because being in boarding school for over 8 years has taught me the value of being independent. Over the last couple of years, I have managed to be the woman that I am just because of the things I learnt while in boarding school. I learnt how to get along with others because it was a community and I learned how to be responsible for my actions because I was bound by an honor and discipline code. And I hated waking up at 4.00 am. 

Boarding school has helped take on challenges to live in new places over the last couple of years. It laid a solid foundation for me to be okay being on my own and thriving in a new environment. For the last 10 years, I have lived in new countries and new environments and through them, I have managed to make friends, be okay and be well.

And yes, they do say there are many benefits of taking your children to boarding school. Sports, good education, environment and better future. They also say boarding schools make children physically, mentally and spiritually fit. 

Am still in my early 30s, not married and no kids yet, so I don't have to worry about the decision of taking my kids to a boarding school. And for those who spent their earlier lives in boarding school or thinking of sending their children to boarding school, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers,
Neema

No comments:

Post a Comment