Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The City of Dreams - Ronda, Spain

You know when I set out to visit South of Spain aka Andalusia region, I never knew my life would change so much. Have been here for the last 10 days and everyday it gets better. so far I love Marbella, way better than Malaga but I haven't been to Nerja or even Granada and let me not get started on Sevilla. I love everything about Spain, food, people and off course their wine and men :)

Today, I decided to visit Ronda. When I was planning my vacation, I restled with either visiting Córdoba or Ronda but then something clicked and Ronda it was. It also helped matters that Cordoba is over 3-hours bus ride. So let me tell you about my day spent in Ronda. 

Ronda, known as th city of dreams is located about 63 miles from Malaga. Ronda sits in the heart of Serrania de Ronda and its estimated to have s population of about 35,000. This place took my breath away. To me it's one of those cities that leaves you with so much to think about. And if you want to escape th hustle of all Malaga then, give yourself a trip to Ronda. You don't even have to spend much to be here - all you need is a day and you are covered. 

It is a walkable city so make sure you wear good gripping shoes and comfortable. it is said that Ronda is located above 750m above sea level with Guadalevin river running through the city. This river ends up diving it into two curving steep. 


So if you want to visit Ronda, you can do so through three options. Take a bus from any of the cities - Malaga, Sevilla or even Marbella. From Malaga, it is about 1hr 45m with direct bus and costs €20 for return. You can also take a train, just remember the last train leaves at 6pm so catch it. Another option is to drive but make sure you are aware of the windy road....uhh that road is windy and very dramatic. The beauty about leaving from Malaga is that you pass through beautiful towns of Ardales, Carratraca and Cuevas de Becerra.

So what do you do when you visit Ronda? Besides seeing the UNESCO Heritage site, El Tajo gorge which offers stunning views of the city and all, you also eat and drink wine. The Puente Nuevo - new bridge - joins the old town and the new town. Trust me, the view of El Tajo gorge will stay with you for years to come.  I had so much fun walking and taking pictures!

Besides that, don't forget to visit Plaza de Toros (The Bullring), Arab Baths, Jardines de Cuenca which are below El Tajo. And off course enjoy a view of the Plaza Duquesa de Parcent square which has so many monuments. 

And for those who love ham, pass by Le Casa Del Jamon for a slice of ham heaven. Wow!
And you all know I have a high affinity for wine and recently, Ronda is becoming an excellent wine place. You can visit a couple of wineries such as Descalzos Viejos winery. 

So if you have visited Ronda, would love to hear about your favorite things. And for those planning to visit, I would be more than happy to provide more details. 

As they say, hasta luego!
Neema

No comments:

Post a Comment