Friday, May 15, 2015

A Day in Turkey

What can I say, I could not pass an opportunity to spend a day in Istanbul. I love Turkey as a country and am hoping that one day I can have an opportunity to spend more than just a day.

They describe Istanbul as east meets west, Europe meets Asia. Where you can do everything and anything. Leaving from San francisco, I have to say I was impressed with Turkish airlines. This is a new route for them from San Fran with daily flights and granted they are not Korean Airlines or Singapore, I still had a smooth 14-hour flight. My feet are still swollen but I will be fine. That's the joy of loving to fly to long destinations.

When I landed in Istanbul, I was hit by hot temperatures, long lines, crowded airports and roads and I cannot believe with the amount people passing through this airport, they don't have wifi...really guys?

I opted for a night tour - beautiful views of everything at night and used my day spending it enjoying the food and tea. If you love museums and mosque then this is your paradise. From the beauty of Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, surely you cannot go wrong. 


The one thing that annoys me about Istanbul is the smoking....I can't believe my sinuses cannot still accept smoking fumes.  Either way if you happen to find yourself in Istanbul, try the following:
  1. Do a night tour of Istanbul and day your as well
  1. Enjoy and sample Turkish delights and Turkish tea- mhh good
  1. Food and more food - so many restaurants and good food and you will find cafes and restaurants everywhere.  I could not get enough of every food.
  1. Ignore the smoking and enjoy your time - apparently Lebanon is same
  1. Visit these places and do the following -  Spice Bazaar, Grand Bazaar, go to a belly dancing show, Maidens Tower and walk around and get lost in the city. 
  1. Avoid driving - crazy drivers
  1. Be prepared for a little traffic during rush hour 
I will post a couple of pictures when I get back home but for now, enjoy and laters. 
Off to enjoy my time in Spain.
Neema


No comments:

Post a Comment