Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Travel on a Budget

I know some of you are wondering how comes I travel so much and if I can afford it. The answer is a simple yes and no. So today, I figured I could give you a few tips on how I am able to travel and still pocket a little money here and there. 

I did a couple of calculations and I realized in a year, I spend more money on traveling than anything else  in my life with shoes and wine coming very close but that's because it's the only thing that gives me my sanity back away from all the craziness in my life. I work a lot and I need a couple of weeks time out to just refresh my mind. I have travelled to so many places and overtime, have learned a thing or two on traveling smart. Here they are:

Booking ticket - I usually book my tickets between 3-6 months depending on where I am going. I always have a list of places I want to visit and I cross them off the list but also look at what time I want to go check on what's going there. For example, you will never find me visiting Europe between June - September, too many tourist, too expensive and too hot so no. But if I visit in October or April, May, I still get to enjoy myself with all the tourists but pay less for my ticket. I also tend to travel between Tuesday - Thursday and come back on the same days. I avoid weekends and beginning and end of the week making me save $1-$2 or even more.

Hotels - I am one person who trusts trip-advisor whole-heartedly and after every trip,I make sure I review the hotels for someone else to know. I tend to settle for boutique style hotels as opposed to the bigger ones - unless I want to splurge. Not any of the hotels have booked have given me a reason to worry. They tend to be cheaper, gives you a feeling of being home but away from home and offering services that 5-star hotels offer but at a discounted rate. And I tend to travel offseason. Another trick is to get the hotel name and then go to their website and book directly, they tend to have discounts on their page that you can take advantage of if the website you are booking from does not show it. And finally, before you book a hotel, always look at the reviews and a couple of people who have stayed there and ask their opinion honestly. It gives you a good sense of what's their personal taste.

Getting around while on vacation - I am one person who only uses taxis when absolutely necessary. For example, if I cannot use public transport or if it's way too late. I also use taxis if am getting late but needs to be somewhere on time. Last year, I visited Tokyo and between landing at Narita and getting to my hotel in Chiyoda, I used their public transport. Saved money but still got to experience Tokyo like a local. I am a big believer in public transport and its reliability and comfort from trains to buses. As am writing this, am currently in Spain and so far, haven't taken so many taxis - getting to Granada from Almunecar, I will take a bus. It's about an hour away, I will spend £6 instead of £50-60. Granted you save time by using taxi but what's the rush? And from Granada to Sevilla, I will take a train that costs me £20 for 3 hours. So yes, try to use public transport, buses, trains etc. the good thing about the age we are in is that you can find everything online. 
Just remember this only works for countries with good transport system such as Europe and parts of Asia, Japan, Korea etc. if you are in a place like Koh Samui, Thailand, then take a taxi. Cheap and cheap.

Eating -  I always avoid tourist trap places to eat and instead, eat like a local. I always ask the customer service desk at the hotels where locals eat and that's where you will find me. Cheap but really good food. 

Packing - I pack light. Very very light and if am going to London for example, then I don't even pack anything coz then I can shop there. International flights are starting to limit bags. I traveled Turkey Airlines the other day and they mentioned you are only allowed one luggage. Good for me coz my suitcase is a carry one - doesn't matter if it is a two weeks or 3 days. It's the same.

There you have it folks. That's how I am able to travel without even blinking. Share with me your thoughts and if you have any questions, let me know.

Bonne Journee!



No comments:

Post a Comment